Sunday, March 04, 2007

Aloha 'Oe

Picture of my Great grandmother and Great granduncle.

Aloha(Alo = presence, front, face) (hâ = breath)"The presence of (Divine) Breath"

I'm a little depressed. I misplaced some important items and can't find them again. Losing things drives me crazy--I avoid it as much as possible. And when I do lose things, I usually find them within hours. But the objects in question have yet to show up after a week. When I was young, I had perfect recall of what I did and when I did it. As much as I have been trying to remember when I last saw the vanquished possessions, it is a total blur.


Jesus tells a parable of people losing things. Coins. Sheep. Wayward offspring. Lots of emotional energy is spent. Worry. Maybe anger. Maybe guilt. And what joy that they have when they are reunited! Peace is re-established, connections are re-booted, friends are invited over. Party on! The feeling is similar to the angels rejoicing over one repentant sinner.


I've been thinking a lot about lostness. One of my favorite animated films is "Lilo and Stitch" and it gets me every time in two scenes whenever I watch it: Lilo's older sister singing "Aloha 'Oe" to her after she tries to hold the family together and failed and Stitch alone in the forest, realizing that he was at fault for the whole problem and mourningly says "I'm lost."


(If you don't know what "Aloha 'Oe" is about, it is a Hawaiian song written by Queen Lili'uokalani about saying farewell "until we meet again" but knowing you never will. Or if you do, nothing will ever be the same again.


Ha`aheo ka ua i na pali, Ke nihi a`e la i ka nahele, E uhai ana paha i ka liko, Pua ahihi lehua a o uka.


(Chorus) Aloha `oe, aloha `oe, E ke onaona noho i ka lipo, One fond embrace a ho`i a`e au, Until we meet again.

Translation: Proudly sweeps the rain clouded by the cliffs, As onward it glides through the trees, It seems to be following the liko, The ahihi lehua of the vale.


(Chorus) Farewell to thee, farewell to thee, Thou charming one who dwells among the bowers. One fond embrace before I now depart Until we meet again.)


The problem with losing something, it causes me to obsess over it. I feel a jab to my spirit everytime I think of it being gone. It's difficult to say "Aloha 'Oe" to it, even if it is a small item of no real consequence, or if it can be replaced. But, now, I need to move on. If it is still gone by now, then it will be unlikely I'll be seeing it in the future. It's been too long. Aloha 'Oe, Aloha 'Oe, E ka onaona noho i ka lipo


"Because of Aloha, one gave without thought of return... "--Queen Lili'uokalani


Good-bye, my lost one.





No comments: