Wednesday, May 09, 2007

When The Heat Is On

I was dreading going to work this evening. Graduation weekend is brutally busy in this college community, and I knew we were short staffed. So, I prayed in the car on the way to work, mostly for patience and strength. When I got there, we were more short staffed than I thought and the store was upside down. But everyone was working hard and staying positive, and I found it easy to get into the vibe and roll with it.

Praying about work is something I am learning a lot about. I don't ask that things be easy, or that God would change the circumstances to favor me anymore. I've found my propensity to whine about work has dramatically decreased over the last year, mostly because of prayer. With a job like mine, you never know what to expect--things change on a dime and there are surprises every day. God helps me take it in stride, because I am growing in believing that even the difficulties are there for my good.

What helps you when the pressure is on?
James 1:2-3 "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."
1 Peter 3:3-4 "Do not let your adornment be merely outward--aranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel--rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God."
These verses encourage me to trust God with all my heart.
We had an excellent evening by the way, and it was pretty fun, actually.

No comments: