Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Balance and Priorities

I've been sick with a cold for a couple of days--I don't get these often, but they slow me down big time. I still take walks with my puppy, Ginger, every morning. We go to the park where she gets to run, run and run. Today, I'm bringing her tennis ball to chase. It took her awhile, but she understands the fetch game now. She and Carly still wrestle and play, but she is getting a little too rough and I have to break up the fight every now and then, especially when Carly growls, either from pain or anger. Even though Carly is half Ginger's size, she initiates most of the rough housing. The kitten thinks she's a dog.

Ginger is back to her feisty self again. I was worried for awhile. I didn't see her golden retrieverness anymore with the perpetual smile and energy. She was being too good. Dennis took her to the vet, and she got de-wormed and some shots. Lisa told us to feed her a little bit more than she can handle, that there should always be some food left in her bowl when she finishes. Lisa told us that we picked the perfect dog. We knew that. She never runs off, she stays beside us inside the house or outdoors. As for housebreaking, we had success, then trouble and now it looks like we got where we all need to be. She'll chase a squirrel, but not be obsessed with them. Yesterday, on our walk to the park, she carried her water bottle in her mouth most of the way home until she dropped it and Dennis put it in his back pocket.

I'm still reading and thinking about women in the Bible. I have been contemplating the Proverbs 31 woman. She was a challenge to me when I was younger, in my twenties, in just her productivity in the home. And still does. She challenged me in my thirties in her relationship to her husband. And still does. She challenges me now in how she keeps her balance and priorities. Her managerial skills are amazing. She speaks with discretion and kindness. As Eugene Petersen puts in The Message, it all comes down to one thing: "Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades. The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear- of- GOD."

In other words, the Proverbs 31 woman knows God and lives out her life in respect to Him. He is the reason why she does what she does in the way she decides to do it. That's how she keeps her balance. That is her main priority. That is how she manages herself before she manages everything and everyone else.

Well, it's time for that walk. Both animals are under the desk, by my feet.

2 comments:

Melissa Newell said...

Althea! I've run across your blog! I was so excited. I love it. I also love working with you at Starbucks. : ) See you soon!

Althea said...

Hey Ms Meliss! Welcome! I also love working with you at Starbucks!! We missed you when you went away to Hogwarts! Er, I mean, that Bible School in England!
Do you have a blog? Are you posting pictures from England there?