Friday, October 19, 2007

Breakfast Number 3, Weight Watchers Style

Tijuana Muffin (Weight Watchers)

In a skillet, scramble 1/4 cup Egg Beaters, southwestern style in 1 teaspoon safflower oil. Serve on 1/2 whole grain English muffin. Top with three avocado slices and 2 tablespoons salsa. (six points)

Thea's Muffin

Scramble 1/4 southwestern style eggbeaters on a skillet sprayed with Pam. Split eggs between two halves of a 100 calorie english muffin, top with sliced tomato. (six points). When I want a bigger breakfast, I fry two turkey sausage patties, drain the grease and blot the patties with a paper towel, and add each one to my muffin halves. It doubles the points to twelve, but if I'm working out that day, it's worth it.

Berry Good (Weight Watchers)

Mix 1 cup fresh berries with 1 cup plain yogurt and sugar substitute to taste, if desired. (three points) I like fresh fruit with yogurt instead of the premixed fruity kind you get in the store. Sometimes, I add a small amount of Mueslix on top or chopped almonds for crunch factor.

So, what's up with the points? I get a certain amount per day, and each food has a point value that I look up online or in a reference guide. Right now, I'm on 35 points per day, and often I can't eat that much. Yesterday, we went to a Chinese food buffet, which is the kiss of death for most diets. But because I worked out and planned what to eat and planned to use my weekly bonus points (they roll over to the next week if you don't use them, and I had a bunch extra, about 70 in all) I actually came out of it pretty good. I started with the hot and sour soup, had 1 cup chicken and broccoli stir fry over a half cup white rice, one egg roll,vegetarian and plain, 1/2 cup shrimp stir fry over 1/2 cup noodles, one cup stir fried green beans, one pork rib and one char siu chicken skewer.

Since I don't know how much fat was used in cooking the food, I added more points to be safe. I figured I ate fifty points in one meal. The restaurant is a mile from our house, so next time, we'll walk there. But I go by there every day and it is reassuring that I can eat there if I want to as long as I practice self-control. If I save up enough points, I could probably go there once a month safely. I don't need to eat a lot. I just like the variety. The difference is that I made choices and ate consciously. I avoided a lot of stuff I used to not think twice about.

Doesn't living for Christ include this kind of awareness in all aspects of life? The fact that I can choose because God empowers me to live for Him and in Him and through Him is startlingly real to me now more than ever.

No comments: