Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Breakfast Talk

Granola with Yoghurt and Fruit

In a medium cereal bowl, assemble in layers:

1/2 cup plain non fat yoghurt

1/4 cup granola or other whole grain cereal (I like Red Mill Mueslix)

3 tablespoons dried cranberries (I like orange flavored Craisens)

1/4 cup drained mandarin oranges

1/2 banana, sliced

1/2 small apple, diced

1 teaspoon pecan pieces

Enjoy with a cup of Earl Grey tea.


The other day, I ran across Scripture memory verses from my quiet time in 1984. It was a passage that I heard in a "breakfast talk" that Helene Ashker gave to a small group of women I was involved in Bible Study with. We met at someone's home, had breakfast casserole, fruit, cinnamon rolls and orange juice. However, the Bible verses so impressed me that I meditated--or chewed--on it for a year.

"Thine, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the earth; Thine is the dominion, O LORD, and Thou dost exalt Thyself as head over all. Both riches and honor come from Thee, and Thou dost rule over all, and in Thy hand to make great, and to strengthen everyone. Now, therefore, our God, we thank Thee and praise Thy glorious name. But who am I and who are my people that we should be able to offer as generously as this? For all things come from Thee and from Thy hand we have given Thee. For we are sojourners before Thee, and tenants, as all our fathers were; our days on the earth are like a shadow, and there is no hope. O LORD our God, all this abundance that we have provided to build Thee a house for Thy holy name, it is from Thy hand, and all is Thine. Since I know, O my God, that Thou triest the heart and delightest in uprightness, I, in the integrity of my heart, have willingly offered all these things; so now with joy I have seen Thy people, who are present here, make their offereings willingly to Thee."
1 Chronicles 29:11-17

It's David's prayer after he and the nation of Isreal gathered materials to donate for the building of the Temple. I memorized verses 11-13, because I wanted to keep in the front of my thinking the splendor of God. Verses 14-17 I thought a lot about because I wanted to remember the part "But who am I...?" Yes, exactly, in light of God's greatness, power, glory, victory and majesty, who do I think I am? Do I have anything to give such a great Person that He should have any reason to appreciate me? I am but a shadow, a sojourner, a temporary resident on this earth. I have nothing to bring to the table that He hasn't already provided for already.

I don't remember exactly what Helene had to say, it was one of those "breakfast talks" when I had to get up really early and try to pay attention, but I am sure that it amounted to "It's not about you", like her talks always did and probably still do. But I do remember her telling us that David was a king who knew the real King of all. And I do remember her saying that we, as women, are daughters of that King through Christ. That through Christ we have an identity as children of God, and we are to live worthy of God because of that identity. Everything we do should reflect our King.

I got to talk with Helene several times over the next two years, and have always been struck with a shine in her countenance whenever she spoke of God. She glowed. I remember thinking how I wanted to know God just like she did. But it came at high prices. A dearer cost than I could ever know perhaps. But Helene has always been, and still remains, my standard of a beautiful woman. It's about the presence of God shining through her.

No comments: