Thursday, November 22, 2007

Post Thanksgiving

My Thanksgiving Salad Recipe:

Head of green leaf lettuce, washed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
2 cups arugula, washed and dried
3 cups baby spinach, washed and dried
1/4 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
juice of one fresh lemon
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
half of a small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
one fennel bulb, thinly sliced
three naval oranges, peeled, pith removed and sectioned
black pepper

Toss greens with salt in a large salad bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients tossing lightly as you go, and add pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

I like this recipe because it is a flavorful and light counterbalance to the rest of the holiday food. The arugula is especially nice with its peppery and bitter aftertaste, paired with the lemon juice and oranges. The international students were surprised that no bottled salad dressing was served on the side, but that the dish was complete by itself.

Yesterday, we worked out on treadmills at the YMCA. Dennis was surprised to see me running. So was I. I learned from my "stress test" at the cardiologist that I was capable of a lot more than I think. So I pushed myself a little harder. It felt good.

I also learned from my stress test that I have only two parts in my aortic valve instead of the normal three. It's inherited and called a bicuspid aortic valve. Wow. From time to time in doctor's visits, I hear stuff about my body structure that isn't "normal" but functional just the same. They usually say stuff like "it's rare but nothing to be worried about". But after awhile it all adds up and makes me wonder what God was thinking when he built me. I'm missing parts and some things are backwards. That's the internal stuff. Then there is an external asymmetry that nobody notices but I know it very well --one leg is longer than the other, for instance. Mom used to call it just a little quirk and everyone has one. I put a pad in my left shoe so that I walk a little more balanced. The following verse just came to mind:

"I will give thanks to Thee for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works and my soul knows it very well." Psalm 139:14

No comments: