Monday, November 26, 2007

Shattered Dreams

I'm re-reading "Shattered Dreams" by Larry Crabb, I borrowed it from the church library and it isn't due until December 9th. It gives me enough time to re-read it at least 10 times. Maybe by the time I can digest it, I could quote it word for word. It's not often that I get to read a book that addresses what I'm struggling with at the current moment. It seems like I read books that help me with things that happened to me in the past or that are happening with other people's problems.

I've never read a book that so immediately spoke to my heart right now, where I've needed it most. And a book that dovetailed tightly with a sermon message (listen here)that I just heard recently at my church, URC by our pastor Kevin DeYoung, that I felt that God was using to open up a deep wound about my infertility. Not to hurt me for no reason, but to help me understand a deeper truth and give me a satisfying hope.

How to describe this book, "Shattered Dreams"? I think my friend, Arnold, summarized it perfectly in his post "Masterpiece Theater". It is where I learned about the book in the first place and am really thankful that Arnold makes it a habit to share about books that he feels are good and helpful. You can check his summary here.

Do you have a shattered dream? I have several, actually. I hope the sermon and the book prove as helpful to you as it has been for me.

No comments: