Monday, December 10, 2007

Fitness Report

I love swimming. But I may be doing more workouts on dry land instead of the water.

In Women's Health (a magazine I subscribe to) there is a quote from a report in Annals of Internal Medicine (a physician's periodical I don't subscribe to) that adults with type 2 diabetes who did 45 minutes of each cardio and weight training three times weekly lowered their blood sugar levels further than those who did 45 minutes of either activity. After 22 weeks, their levels had dropped by .97 percent which is equal to 15 percent reduction in heart attack or stroke risk. The mono-exercisers only dropped by 0.5 in their levels. The theory is that "cardio burns glucose for energy, while lifting increases the demand for energy by upping muscle mass, leaving less sugar in the blood." says lead author Ronald Sigal, M.D., M.P.H. If I don't have 90 minutes, thirty minutes of each would give me the same results.


Also, in WH I found out that:



  • The average person walks about 100 steps a minute.

  • 2,000 steps equals 1 mile.

  • A brisk 15-minute walk burns 100 calories.

  • A study in the Journal of Clinical Oncology showed scientists that women who used pedometers for 12 weeks increased their activity three times as much as non-users.

  • Women are 59 percent more likely than men to use a pedometer.

  • College grads are four times as likely as non-college grads to use one.

So, Target had a Sportline ThinQ pedometer on sale for $15 and I bought one. It's the same size as a credit card and really thin.


I hope this is news you can use.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Althea!

I've used a pedometer for a few years now. It has been great motivation to "add steps to my day" as I aim for 10,000 a day. (Dancing around the living room counts as well as parking further from the entrance of the grocery store-- every bit adds up)...Recently, I fell off the wagon. You have reminded me to start wearing mine again.
Holly