Tuesday, January 08, 2008

A Need to Read

A co-worker likes to relax on his breaks with a book, he's currently into "The Thirteenth Tale", a book I read last summer. I can't read at work, because it involves putting the book down and transitioning back into real life, and even worse, a busy day at our cafe. I go into another world when I read and it's hard for me to get out of it.

Tomorrow, I'm running various errands on my day off. As a reward, I'm planning to find a comfy chair in the coffeehouse of my choice and just read for a few hours. Although I prefer to read at home most of the time, it will be nice to get a break from the pets. Carly my cat likes to play with the pages as I turn them. Ginger, my golden retriever puppy, thinks reading is boring and wants me to spend time doing better things, like walks and playing fetch or tag. Sometimes, they give up and start taking naps all around me. But then, it makes me tired and want to take a nap, too. And where does that get me?

I usually make a list of books I want to read for the next year. I finished last year's list by September. Perhaps I should make it more challenging.

2008 Reading List:

*Truth and Beauty, Anne Patchett

*Lipstick Jihad, Azadeh Moaveni

*The Life All Around Me by Ellen Foster, Kaye Gibbons

*True to Form, Elizabeth Berg

*All Aunt Hagar's Children, Edward P. Jones

*Moby Dick, Herman Melville

*My Antonia, Willa Cather

*Secrets from the Wine Diva, Christine Ansbacher

* Julie & Julia, Julie Powell

*The Art of Simple Food, Alice Waters

*Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, Annie Dillard

*Kabul Beauty School, Deborah Rodriguez

*Reading Lolita in Tehran, A Memoir in Books, Azar Nafisi

Well, that's a good beginning.

No comments: