Saturday, March 08, 2008

Adjustment

At Weight Watchers, I found out that I gained another half pound.

It's kind of hard to deal with. But I am looking at the bigger picture as well. My blood sugar has been its lowest for the last week. I work out every day, whether I am at the gym or at home. And I am eating way healthier. And I'm lifting weights now at least twice a week. Mostly my arms and abdomen. Swimming is my cardio, and I do push it.

So, I'm rethinking my strategy a bit. Maybe a tighter control of my diet. I haven't had anything sweet in two weeks. And I upped my fiber. Point-wise, I keep my daily goal a little high since I work at a moderately active job. But I'm deciding to lower it by at least 10. It will be hard.

But I had to force myself to eat dinner tonight, I made a chicken and brown rice dish with a bottled tagine sauce I bought from Worldmarket. I ate a half cup of rice and a cup of the cubed chicken and sauce over it. Dessert is an orange. I feel better, though. And my blood sugar two hours after eating still remained low--at 135. Lately, I don't feel hungry and it seems like I have constant indigestion. My medication will do that.

So, I think I'm ready to lower my point limit. I found that if I eat right before working out and right after, I'm okay, so I bring apples, yogurt, nuts or a granola bar. The trick with lowering points is to cook as much as possible and use lots of veggies, whole grains and protein. With lower points, I hope that my blood glucose won't drop too low. So, I've got to pack emergency food with me in case that happens.

The other problem is that repetition helps keep track of my points but I get tired of the same foods every day. I made chicken but it makes me sick to think of eating it. And I usually love tuna, but lately, it's hard to be motivated to even make a sandwich. So I'm trying new recipes, which is actually fun.

Tomorrow, I'm cooking Chinese Orange Chicken from a recipe I got online from Weight Watchers, and I'll stir fry some cabbage to go with it.

If it is good, I'll let you know!

No comments: