Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hello March

Dear March--Come in--
How glad I am--
I hoped for you before--
Put down your Hat--
You must have walked--
How out of Breath you are--
Dear March, how are you, and the Rest--
Did you leave Nature well--
Oh March, Come right up stairs with me--
I have so much to tell--

I got your Letter, and the Birds--
The Maples never knew that you were coming--till I called
I declare-how Red their Faces grew--
But March, forgive me--and
All those Hills you left for me to Hue--
there was no Purple suitable--
You took it all with you--

Who knocks? That April.
Lock the Door--
I will not be pursued--
He stayed away a Year to call
When I am occupied--
But trifles look so trivial
As soon as you have come

That Blame is just as dear as Praise
And Praise as mere as Blame--

--Emily Dickinson

It's hard to believe March is nearly over. It's been a strange month, snow one day, sunshine the next. I have daffodils--resiliant flowers, they--coming up in the garden. They don't care about the unpredictable weather, they just show up no matter what.

Time to make plans for gardening this year, I plan to do more of it this year. We need more roses, I think. And the hostas need to be divided. Ferns for the backyard, of course. And a garden path as well. The dog doesn't know it, but she's getting a fence. Please don't tell her, it's a surprise.

No comments: