Sunday, March 30, 2008

My Saturday

Yesterday, I had an eye appointment that I nearly forgot about because I was emailing. I got there 10 minutes late, and they had to squeeze me in. But I'm quick with the eye exam process, it didn't take very long at all. I chatted with my opthamologist and the optometrist more about coffee than the actual exam. The good news is that I haven't lost my ability to focus, unlike most people my age. My eye doctor thought this was remarkable. I don't know enough about eyes to be as amazed as he was.

A Christian bookstore was in the same mall area as my eye appointment was, so I checked it out to see if they had Laura Story's new CD. Yep, they did. I had been asking about it for weeks, and they didn't know who she was. When I got there yesterday, they had two of them and I got the next to the last one. So the word is out, even up here in Michigan. I also got a copy of an ESV Bible, paperback. It's the version our church uses in the pew, and in our pastor's sermons, so I thought it would be good to have one around the house. Our pastor, Kevin DeYoung, had co-written a book, but I didn't see it while I was there. There might be a copy on our church's book table tomorrow, so I will definately try to get it there. You might be interested, it's called "Why We Aren't Emergent (by two guys who should be)".

It was lunchtime, and I smelled hamburgers as I walked out of the bookstore. Wretched woman that I am, I could feel my stomach rumbling instantaneously. It was the McD's down a block, apparently the winds were blowing eastward, carrying the aromas of charred meat in my direction. I got a small burger for lunch, and a small salad with fat free dressing.

I went home. After reading a while and doing a few chores, I walked the dog and played with kittens. Dennis came home while I had Sonny and Fredo on my lap, and told me that the neighborhood kids wanted to see the kittens. So I brought the frightened creatures to the front door so that all four of the kids could get a glimpse and pet them a little while I held on. Anything I can do to market them so they would have a good home in the future.

I made a veggie stir fry for dinner and then got ready for work after we ate. My store is open later on Saturday nights, and I didn't have to be in charge. Aimee was already there running things, and she had me "off the floor" just doing non-customer related work, which was music to my ears. I got to organize things and work on the presentation of our merchandise, which I love to do.

A couple of high school kids asked me what year I was in college after they ordered their frappuccinos. I said I wasn't in college anymore and that I was probably older than their mothers. I was probably the same age as their grandmas. Fifty-two, they asked? Yep, fifty-two. They didn't believe me. My college aged co-worker got into the act and claimed he was 45. I pointed to Aimee and told them she was 21 (she's a few years older than that). Loved messing with their minds. Reminded me that youth had some disadvantages, like gullibility--a problem I no longer have.

It was a great day.

No comments: