Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The movie Prince Caspian will be released May 16th. I am hoping that it will be as good as its predecessor, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, back in 2005.

Mark LaSalle, from the San Francisco Chronicle had this to say about The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe:

That the film is a Christian allegory is beyond dispute. This element is in no way disguised, nor should it be, as it's a major source of the story's power. It functions in two distinct ways. The allegory elevates the tale to the monumental scale of salvation and damnation. And it shows the eternal application of the Christian metaphor, working in the Miltonian sense to "justify the ways of God to man." Thus, despite its enormous secular appeal, "The Chronicles of Narnia" could also be called the most effective and moving religious picture since Nick Ray's "King of Kings."

I was afraid to see it when it came out, because I had read and loved C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia ever since I was in third grade. In my own mind, I knew plucky Lucy, Mr. Tumnus and Aslan very well. I didn't think any movie, no matter how wonderful the special effects, could match up to my imagination. It's the reason we read. But the movie was splendid and because it almost met up with my imagination, I know that the upcoming Prince Caspian is in the right movie maker's hands.

It was such a story that grabbed my heart at such a young age and made me see God, Jesus and the Gospel in a totally different way. It was Light. And it showed me that God could use creativity through believers to express His Word, in the right way, at the right time, with the right people.




If you haven't seen the trailer yet, here it is.

No comments: