Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Life Indeed, Part 2

More thoughts about Tabitha. I've been mentally "chewing" on the Bible passage in Acts that I told you about in my previous post.

I was thinking why God sent Tabitha back to live a longer life. I really don't know for sure but I have a few speculations.

The Bible tells us that when the news went out about Tabitha being resurrected, more people became believers in the Gospel. Tabitha's reputation probably was widespread, and perhaps many in the community at large respected her and were saddened to hear she was gone. And perhaps they were exceedingly glad to hear that she was back, and God caused them to believe.

But the widows were the ones most distraught at losing their friend, perhaps they all learned about Jesus through Tabitha. As she was a mature believer, they probably looked to her for guidence, instruction, and support. She might have been an effective mentor. And of course, she loved them with a love that came from God loving her. I am guessing that God chose to be merciful to the widows in bringing Tabitha back to them, as a gift.

But all around, even up to now, God chose to bring Tabitha back for a few more years ultimately for His glory. And so, I had to share what I've been meditating on further about the story.

No comments: