Monday, July 14, 2008

God Provides

Every Sunday is the best day of the week for me. It's more than just a day off. It's more than a day to relax. It's the Lord's day.

Yesterday, we enjoyed the worship service and message and afterwards, Dennis headed to the international fellowship while I joined a small discussion group about hospitality. I connected with some old friends and made a few new ones. Afterwards, we joined a potluck to welcome the Miller's who are back on furlough after spending 3 years in a middle eastern country as tentmaking missionaries. As we were walking back to the car, some friends asked us what we'd be doing the rest of the day. We had wanted to finish a few home improvement projects, but that didn't happen. I read my Bible for awhile and prayed, and we both took naps. And then I started a new book I got from the library about apologetics.

I reflected also on the sermon we heard and some of the conversations I had with various people in church all morning long. A friend who recently became a believer, who told me that she felt the Holy Spirit and that was how she became a believer. A new friend who just moved to Lansing and was moving forward to find her niche in our church. The amazing people who met together to talk about Biblical hospitality. The international who was learning English and trying to answer my questions about his quiet time and favorite book in the Bible...I knew he was a godly young man with a mature faith, but it was hard to put into English what he wanted to share. Brief but exciting chats with two women who are leaders in our church about discipleship. Another short interchange with a younger couple about youth missions and speaking French. An encouraging remark from an older woman about God's will for our lives. An encouraging remark from a younger woman who noted that I had been reaching out more. I felt like I got more than I received all morning long. All grace--I didn't deserve it. All from God, showing me His love through our fellowship. To keep me going...steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord knowing that our toil is not in vain in the Lord.

I don't know what it is, but I'm suddenly aware of my need for Christian community. Maybe as I've gotten older I'm realizing that I can't make it on my own. I appreciate it more.

No comments: