Thursday, August 07, 2008

Words

One of the things I have noticed this year is that the Scriptures show how Jesus always said the right thing at the right time and in the right way. He spoke the truth, and he spoke love. And He listened carefully to people. If there is any proof of His deity, that would be enough. Perfect communication skills are clearly a mark of being God.

The rest of us are not perfect communicators, although some of us are gifted, whether by talent or by the Holy Spirit or both. Everything I know about communication I've had to learn the hard way, it seems. If there is anything important that I need to say, I've learned that it isn't enough to rely on myself. Often it requires throwing myself at God's feet and pleading for help. Or mercy, or forgiveness or both.

Because I know that I struggle in saying the right thing, and that often I say the wrong thing, it behooves me to remember that others that I know, even those I respect greatly, have the same struggles and sometimes it might mean I am in their line of fire.

Right now, I am greatly valuing the discipline of silence, and wishing that I had a ton more of it than I do now. Perhaps contemplating the fall of man and it's ramifications in my every day life would take the place of saying whatever my heart feels to say.

"A man will be satisfied with good by the fruit of his words, And the deeds of a man's hands will return to him." Proverbs 12:14

No comments: