Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hope

As I'm writing about one health thing after another, I'm longing for "normal". A day without a new problem with my body. My body disappoints me not only in its aesthetic as I get older, but also in its decreasing functionality.

But I complain too much. Or do I?

I was working at the mall today and made drinks for two women. One was wheelchair bound accompanied by a friend who was blind with her seeing eye dog. It made me realize that I have it pretty good right now.

And that my complaining and dissatisfaction could lead me down a road to bitterness and anger. Or depression. And so I am learning how to be grateful although my body is dying, my inner man is being renewed day by day (2Corinthians 4:16).

And God's word reminds me in 2 Corinthians 5 how my "earthly tent" will be torn down to replaced by a heavenly one, and in the meantime, I will groan to be clothed with my "dwelling from heaven". The groaning, or burden, that I experience because of the trouble my flesh causes me, and its continual decay makes me hope for something better and imperishible.

"For momentary light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison". 2 Cor. 4:17

So, where do I place my hope? In this world? Or in God?

But despite all this encouragement and perspective from God, the reality of it all is painful. It hurts.

No comments: