Thursday, January 08, 2009

Paradise Lost



Watch and learn a little American history that not many have heard. I have Hawaiian blood, and although I have known about the soveriegnty movement in Hawaii for a long time, I am always surprised that most Americans don't know the basis for it. On every level, the annexation was injustice to the full. Spiritually, the Hawaiian royalty depended on missionaries who educated them for counsel about political matters, and were betrayed by some of them and the following generations. Legally, the Hawaiians were treated as badly as Native Americans.

Now that we are at war, the military presence in Hawaii is in America's advantage. My husband was once a part of that military presence in the 70's and 80's, and lived there and worked in the shipyards as a "minority" after his enlistment was up. My dad, born and raised in Hawaii as a full blood Hawaiian, signed up for the Army after his high school graduation and his boot camp was in Camp Ord, CA, where I later lived as Fort Ord, ironically. After his enlistment, he used his G.I. Bill to attend college in Chicago, where he met my mom.

So now that Obama is president, someone who was partly raised in Hawaii and probably is aware of the soveriegnty movement there, I wonder if he will make any historic difference?

No comments: