Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Obedient

There is a certain discipline needed to live for God, and it begins with the little things. The discipline of doing, thinking and saying something that is right, loving and peaceful even though you feel like acting out on what is wrong, unloving and unpeaceful. I don't claim that I've mastered this discipline, on the contrary, I have failed at it more often than I care to think about. I confess my rebellious and selfish feelings and ask God for strength and grace to be the woman He wants me to be. I can not do it on my own.

The need to be obedient often drives me to God. When I see it in my life, it isn't my own effort that I can congratulate myself for. It humbles me that God is working in me and through me, to Him I give the credit. And what is obedience for one person may be different for another.

For example, I swim or do some sort of aerobic exercise at least four times a week. If I don't, I'm not in obedience or submission to God. Why? Because my body is His temple and it is diabetic. My Lord has chosen my diabetic body to dwell in, and I need to take care of it. God in His kindness has provided the means for me to do this. Neglect would be sin. If I had taken this attitude a few years ago, I probably wouldn't have diabetes because I would have made choices that pleased God. I knew that polycystic ovary syndrom (PCOS) makes a woman insulin resistant as well as infertile and when it counted, I did too little about it. I wanted to, but it wasn't enough.

But not everyone has to work out like I do out of obedience to Him. For some people, the obedient thing in physical discipline might be applied in another way. But my focus has to be like Apostle Paul who said "I beat my body and make it my slave..." 1Corinthians 9:27. In other words, I must repent of my lazy bone ways and get out of my comfort zone and sweat a lot and make sure I breathe faster, with God's help. And you know, I've come to like working out. And I like to believe that John 14:21 applies to this.

"The person who has My commands and keeps them is the one who [really] loves Me; and whoever [really] loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I [too] will love him and will show [reveal, manifest] Myself to him. [I will let Myself be clearly seen by him and make Myself real to him.] AMP

And that is all I want.

No comments: