Monday, April 06, 2009

Happy Lent

I'm multi-tasking. Right now, as I am writing this blog, I am coloring my hair. How great is that? I have fifteen minutes before I rinse this stuff out, so I have 15 minutes to kill, er, blog.

The Lent season is almost over. I've been observing Lent by doing a Lenten devotional by my church's outreach and compassion ministry, His Hands. I've also been abstaining from red meat or poultry on Fridays, but I think I will keep that up after Easter. We will participate in as many Holy Week worship services as possible, I wasn't going to be able to make our church's Maundy Thursday service, but I found someone to cover the hours I needed off. We will have friends over on Good Friday for dinner.

It has been a good Lent, I think, for me. A good Lent is less focused on the activities, but helps me be more aware of the Gospel and how it affects my life. For one, I am more aware of God's deep love for us. I realize that I experience the Gospel on a personal basis every day.

Growing up Catholic, I dreaded Lent every year. The focus was always on the abstaining, fasting and "giving up" some pleasure for Jesus. I wasn't very good at sacrificing as a child. Every single week of the season, I usually failed to abstain from something and always felt guilty about it. So, Lent wasn't about Jesus, the Gospel or even Calvary. Lent was always about feeling guilty. Which misses the point entirely. God doesn't want us walking around feeling guilty all the time. But I thought, at that time, He did.

I am glad I was wrong.

No comments: