Friday, April 24, 2009

He is Good

We've been busy--lots to do, people to see and places to go. I was looking forward to having today off, but it didn't turn out that way.

I need a day to spend with God. For a more than just a few hours reading the Bible and praying. To let God tell me things that my friends and loved ones can't or won't. Or even stuff I haven't been brave enough to face. And to tell God all the things that I can't or won't tell anyone else. Stuff He already knows about me--no surprise to Him. I need a God who is Holy but who invites me to move closer to Him, and it so happens that the God I worship is like that.

A few years ago, Heidi and I and a few other international women went through "The Creator, My Confidant", a bible study that goes through Psalms. We learned how the writers of the Psalms expressed their very human and real feelings and thoughts, and how they turned them over to God. It was reassuring that the Bible showed how people confessed sin, suffered, had doubts and were angry and God heard them. That is great. But the author of the bible study also showed that true praise and adoration of God erupts from an intimate relationship with Him. It comes from knowing and experiencing His goodness and His truth.

A long time ago, I wrote a prayer asking God to show me His goodness everyday. And you know, I still do. It's there, all around me all the time. It's a matter of me seeing it. It's a matter of opening my eyes.

Now, my prayer is that I would be a conduit of God's goodness to others.

No comments: