Friday, June 12, 2009

Eat, Pray, Love

Yesterday, I visited a woman from Sri Lanka in her home. She is a friend from my English as a Second Language class who loves to cook for her family. She is a beginning speaker and I don't know any Singhelese, her native language. But somehow, we communicate. We draw pictures, we pantamime, and we enlist the translation services of her elementary school age sons.

So far, I taught her how to make pizza and she taught me how to make tandoori chicken with her home-made curry. I want to take her somewhere and pick fresh blueberries and show her how to make blueberry muffins. I still want her to teach me more about her country's cuisine. There is a dried fish that she showed me in her refridgerator that intrigues me. I don't think we will enter into deep spiritual discussions anytime soon. But I pray that God would use our culinary exchanges for his glory.

No comments: