Saturday, November 07, 2009

Dylan in Detroit...


last night and I didn't go.

Dennis was out of town and I had to be at work relatively early this morning. No reviews on Boblinks yet, but the set list is posted. There is one that I would have loved to hear live "The Man in Me" which he doesn't play often--and it was from his "New Morning" album that could be best described as a bit uneven and probably experimental. I have the CD and it isn't one I choose to listen to very often. But I like "The Man in Me" which was a song that the Coen brothers used in their quirkily weird film "The Big Lebowski", picked by T-Bone Burnett who was in charge of the music.

I'm listening to it now on bobdylan.com, and I am now really wishing that I had gone. But it wouldn't have been the same without Dennis, who's starting to appreciate Dylan's music (he downloads it onto his ipod shuffle that I gave him a few Christmases ago).


Lyrics:

The man in me will do nearly any task,
And as for compensation, there's little he would ask.
Take a woman like you
To get through to the man in me.

Storm clouds are raging all around my door,
I think to myself I might not take it any more.
Take a woman like your kind
To find the man in me.

But, oh, what a wonderful feeling
Just to know that you are near,
Sets my a heart a-reeling
From my toes up to my ears.

The man in me will hide sometimes to keep from bein' seen,
But that's just because he doesn't want to turn into some machine.
Took a woman like you
To get through to the man in me.

And I have a feeling that it would've sounded like this:





Yes, it doesn't sound like "New Morning", but I like fact that Dylan is creative. Nothing is set in stone, not even the lyrics. And so it sounds fresh, making us all wonder who is the lady he's singing about.
Although Dennis wasn't able to go and I had to work the next day, I still could have gone. However, I had already decided not to go anyway. I nearly went, and had choice seats picked out on Ticketmaster but gave them up--temptation was pretty strong. I was concerned about turning Bob Dylan into an idol in my heart, where he would become larger in my heart than God. He's a person, imperfect and weak. Not worthy of devotion and worship. But I would like to think that his music points my heart and soul in the right direction, towards Him who lived and died for me, and Whom I need desparately.










1 comment:

WEB SHERIFF said...

WEB SHERIFF
Who You Gonna Call
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208 323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

Hi Thea,

On behalf of Bob Dylan, many thanks for plugging “Christmas In The Heart”, the charity album benefiting Feeding America, Crisis and the World Food Programme … .. and, if your readers want good quality, non-pirated, previews, then “Must Be Santa” is available for fans and bloggers to post / host / share etc from www.myspace.com/bobdylan and a special widget is also available from www.bobdylan.com/#/christmas-in-the-heart-donate... .. for further details of the album, on-line promotions, videos and 2009 / 2010 shows, check-out www.bobdylan.com and www.youtube.com/bobdylantv... .. and keep an eye on these official sources for details of further news and preview material.

Please do visit the official web-sites of Feeding America, Crisis and the World Food Programme for information on their charitable work and on how to make donations : help to make this Christmas special for those in need.

Thanks again for your plug.

Regards,

WEB SHERIFF