Sunday, February 28, 2010

Barista Memories

One of the fun aspects of my job is meeting interesting people. While I was a barista for Starbucks in Marietta, Georgia, I was cleaning tables in the cafe enjoying the music by Buena Vista Social Club. Nearby were some elderly Hispanic gentlemen sitting by the sunny window sipping some espressos. They were speaking Spanish and dressed very well for a quiet Saturday afternoon. I greeted them and they started a friendly chat with me about how glad they were that we had opened our store there recently. It reminded them of old times in Cuba. They especially liked the music that was playing, and told me it was Cuban. I had no idea. Later, when I had a break, I went to sit with them for 10 minutes and asked them to interpret the songs for me. The best break I ever had.

No comments: