Monday, March 07, 2011

The Awesome Adventures of Dana the Ninth Grader, part 10

"I don't know what just happened." Dana gave her friend a quick hug. "It seems to me that you're too hard on yourself.  Why should you worry about what Greg thinks?" She threw a new log onto the fire that was dying down. "It sounds like a funny idea actually, to put those clowns in the yearbook."

"I have a temper. Just ask Mike. He's fond of saying  that 'hell hath no fury like Kellie scorned.'  And his nickname for me is 'Killer'." She stood up. "I've been working on that, and things were going good all week until this afternoon and I lost the victory. Greg saved me from myself. He knows what I'm capable of." She pulled Dana up to her feet. "You have no idea!  I was praying that I wouldn't get mad at you!"

"Well, you did, you dork!"  Referring to yesterday's blow-up over breakfast. 

"That wasn't mad, Kellie!  Like I said, you have NO idea!"

"Wow, if that wasn't mad, then I'd hate to see what mad is!"  Dana rolled her eyes. "I'm no Dr. Phil, but that dog don't hunt."

"You watch too much t.v.!"
"Dr. Phil is so educational! Whenever I feel like my life is all screwed up, I watch that show and I don't feel so bad anymore.  Everyone else has it much worse!  And they have to be on the show, too!"

For a minute, Kellie just looked at her. "Hey, if you need help, you can talk to me.  I don't know much like Dr. Phil, but I can listen.  And pray--God listens."

"I just might take you up on that. I need all the help I can get." 

"Just don't whine.  My offer ends the minute I hear you whine." 

"Nope, I am going to whine like a little baby, Kellie."

"I've changed my mind!"

"No, you can't!"

"Oh, yes, I can!"

They laughed and headed to the Lodge's primative kitchen to make dinner.  They planned to make a fruit salad and fried spam over rice and share it with Chris, who previously took a loss in a barter out of pity.  Later that evening was a fire circle, and Dana was really looking forward to hearing what creative and inspiring essays everyone wrote.  It was the last evening before they headed home the next morning, and she was surprised that she was sad about the idea.

No comments: