Saturday, March 30, 2013

Rejected by Men



 He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted.

                                                    ~Isaiah 53:3-4 ESV




I first read this when I was 19, and I knew that this was about Jesus, written before He appeared in Palestine.   I struggled with the fear of rejection at that time--wanting acceptance from my college professors, my roommate, my family and my friends.  But particularly from men.  It came from deep within my soul.  But when I read that Jesus was a man of sorrows and was rejected by men, it gave me a sweet comfort that no other idea could.  When I thought about it, that Jesus chose to lay down His life for me, even while facing being despised and rejection not just by men, but also God, I started a life of utter amazement in the Gospel.

He knows how I feel.  He knows my griefs and sorrows, because He bore and carried them.  He is intimately acquainted with all my ways.  Because of Him, I can face tomorrow.   

No comments: