Wednesday, September 04, 2013

About this Blog

At Huntington Library in Los Angeles, California next to a favorite Mary Cassatt painting, Breakfast in Bed.





I haven't blogged for awhile.  Not for lack for something to say, or even time to say it.  I'm not sure why I'm doing it anymore.

A friend some time ago described a blog as a journal.  I told him I thought of it as a letter.  The recipients of the letter were mostly the girls I used to work with and/or had fellowship with as partners in Christ.  It was kind of well received for a few years but then the girls graduated or moved on.  The blogs they wrote and I read have also come to their ends. The mini-blogging community we enjoyed exists no longer.

Nowadays, I move in circles that don't have a lot of bloggers or readers of blogs.  Internationals compose the major circle for the last few years, and most of them are not big blogging fans.  Some of the girls started their own blogs about food, which was interesting from their Asian point of view, but their class loads picked up and the blogs were pushed to the outer margins of their lives.  Which I can relate to.

I also used this blog to write a story for the 11 year old to 13 year old age group for girls.  I've decided since then that I need to hang out with this age group of girls more often.  Some of my nieces and neighborhood kids fit in this group, and so I've had some time with them, but not enough.  Getting serious with this endeavor requires research, which promises to be fun.  So after putting this project on the backburner for awhile, I've decided to leave it there a little longer and be more intentional about the fun research I need to do.  It might be good for me, too.

And I've changed.  I'm keeping my cards closer to my chest these days.  There have been griefs that I've born lately and disappointments that I've had struggles with, and so when there is mostly negatives and fewer positives, it's harder to share. I don't believe I have to put up a front that I'm always happy yet I could easily get in that mode where complaining sucks all the energy out of me--energy that I need to solve the problem or pray about it or talk about it to a close friend.  Not all you guys, sorry.

So there you have it.  I'm going to do fun research getting to know pre-teen girls and maybe get involved with some ministry with them.  In the meantime, I will blog once a week about the hope I have in Christ.  See you later.
A pre-teen niece with my sister, Amy.  One of many nieces and nephews  I want to get to know better! 

Another niece!  In Canada, my husband's brother's daughter.  She's wearing a hat I bought for her.

Better get to work on the research, they won't stay this young much longer. 




No comments: